So you’re interested in taking up shooting?
For safety the minimum age for joining the club is 10 years old. We do have quite a few families where mums, dads and grandparents all shoot together with their children. It can get quite competetive!
There are many shooting disciplines to take part in and you’ll be surprised at the range of firearms available. Shooting is one of the few sports where age and to some degree disability has no reflection on performance. Our junior members often out-shoot their mum or dad! Parents or guardians are very welcome to accompany junior members on the range whilst they shoot, there is no need for the parent to become a member themselves. (Though we do encourage it and we offer a discounted family membership.)
Don’t worry about recoil and noise. The .22 rimfire rifles we start you on have almost no recoil and the club will provide hearing and eye protection. It won’t hurt you – and you can take your shot targets home if you like as a souvenir.
If you already hold a Firearms Certificate and wish to join the club then simply attend on a WEDNESDAY evening with your FAC and introduce yourself to one of our range officers. There is no need to pre-book.
If you do not have an existing Firearms Certificate you will need to attend our probationary sessions which are held every WEDNESDAY evening from 7pm.
You MUST pre-book your FIRST visit via our automated booking system. More details here : http://www.wrpc.co.uk/new-members/
Only the FIRST vist needs to be pre-booked. The club is very popular and for safety reasons we can only allow 4 brand new people to attend per week and there is usually a modest waiting list for this. We reserve those 4 places each WEDNESDAY just for people who have pre-booked their first visit so we can give you our full attention and make you feel welcome when you arrive.
On your FIRST visit you MUST bring with you ;
- A completed Membership Application Form – don’t forget to have the referee section filled in and signed!
- One photographic ID for example Passport, Driving Licence. Originals please, not copies.
- One proof of address, either a utility bill or bank statement which clearly displays your permanent home address. (Juniors exempt)
- Firearms Certificate or Shotgun Certificate holders can bring thier current certificate as proof of identity.
- Junior members MUST be accompanied by a parent or guardian on their first visit.
For your referee, it simply needs to be someone who has known you for more than three years, is not related to you and does not live at the same address as you. No need to find a doctor, lawyer or similar!
- Please note if you are a first time visitor but have not pre-booked, you will be most welcome to view the facilities but you will not be able to shoot.